Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Waiting Ends

For most of you who have seen me in the past few months we've inevitably talked of the Peace Corps and my waiting to hear from them, and how my assignment was changed, and so forth. Alas, finally I have received an assignment and it looks like this time I will actually be leaving on February 22nd for the Co-operative Republic of Guyana. It is a small English speaking country (around 750,000 people) in between Venezuela and Brazil that identifies more with the Caribbean than with the rest of South America. And although I can't say it was exactly what I was expecting, I think that it will be an interesting experience nonetheless. The assignment that I was given, which I suspect was because I am CPR and First Aid certified, is to be a Community Health Education Promoter. And from my understanding, this means I will be working closely with either a NGO or government clinic to promote good health practices.

Regardless, I am excited and anxious and have many loose ends to tie before I leave the States.

No comments: